October

Caregiving in The News
Manitoba has the second highest rates of caregiving across Canada. The recent Statistics Canada Portrait of Caregivers  shows that 33 per cent of Manitobans are providing health or disability care to a family member. There are valuable resources  to support Manitoba caregivers available on the  Seniors and Healthy Aging  website.  Be sure to check out the new Inventory for Caregivers in Manitoba.

Health Care reluctant to listen to patients' concerns. Winnipeg Free Press-Oct 5,
A great tool to improve this situation for caregivers is the Patient Advocate Form. It  provides a great discussion point for doctors, caregivers and patients. By becoming a Patient Advocate the  caregiver becomes part of the care team.

Sleepout an eye-opener for CEOs; donations exceed expectations
One hundred of the city’s movers and shakers spent a chilly evening sleeping outside at Portage and Main Thursday night to raise cash and awareness for Winnipeg’s homeless.

When I read about this worthy cause it struck me that I would be more willing to spend a night in a sleeping bag at Portage and Main than to spend a night in my mother's personal care home. This is a criticism of the model of personal care homes in general. I am not afraid that I am going to end up homeless on the streets of Winnipeg.
I am afraid that I am going to end up "Home"less in a personal care home, living my final years in a semi-private room in a hospital ward environment. It is time to start looking for better models. Our  government plans to build hundreds more personal care home beds across Manitoba. I don't want a bed. I want a home.
 

Resource of the Month

 
The Manitoba Heart and Stroke Foundation’s Personal Organizer is one of my favourite resources. In fact, I always hand these out at my workshops. Many of us experience stress when we’re given these sorts of instructions. “Prepare for estate planning by making a list of all your assets, liabilities, and investments.” The Personal Organizer will walk you through this process.
 
It is a clear and thorough guide to organizing the financial and legal information you will need when you visit your financial advisor and/or lawyer. Take it with you to these appointments. It will make communication more efficient which can save you time, money and stress.
 
To get your copy attend the November workshop or contact Lorri Podolski, Planned Giving Manager,  Heart and Stroke Foundation
Phone:  204-949-2032  or  Toll Free: 1-888-473-4636     Email: lpodolski@heartandstroke.mb.ca

No comments :

Post a Comment