September

 This month's Topic: TV Remotes, Talking Clocks, One Button Phones


 Thanks to Bev for sending me this great advice.

Are you aware of all the neat gadgets the CNIB store sells, that are also appropriate for sufferers of dementia? 
To help my mother know what day of the week it is, I bought her a small talking clock that also announces the day.  It cost $20 and she loves it.  I bought a second one today for when the other goes "missing".
As she is also unable to correctly dial numbers, I picked her up a phone today that has one button dialing (just push the family member's picture or name).  It cost just $60. 
I would recommend anyone looking for devices to check online before going to the Winnipeg or Brandon store simply because the stores have limited hours ( Manitoba CNIB stores).

And then there's the story of finding a TV remote control.  When I had cable hooked up at my mother's new place and the technician presented a remote that intimidated even me, I asked for something simpler.  What he produced was the same as the one we had at home...way beyond my mother.  His solution was to talk much louder when trying to explain it to her!
After a couple of weeks of "the cleaning lady must be doing something wrong because my television doesn't work", I was on the hunt.  I thought I found it in the very basic (channel and volume only), large button Sony remote model RM-EZ4.  It would have been great, except it required switching on the cable box and the television separately, which was a problem for my mother.
Digging around on the internet, I discovered Shaw has a remote, much simpler than the one the technician left her.  It's called the Transport Remote.  A person I talked to at Shaw was not familiar with it, but once I directed him to the website where I found it,(https://community.shaw.ca/thread/10237), he became very helpful and had a technician take one to my mother's place.  They programmed it to turn on the cable box and the television at the same time.  I don't hear that she's having problems with her television anymore, except that there's nothing she wants to watch.
Your tips are always welcome. The best advice I get comes from caregivers like Bev. Please email me at wherenext@shaw.ca

This Month's Resources - Shopping

  1. Reliable Home Care Agency Adaptive Clothing  is a new Winnipeg store on Portage Avenue (near Advance Electronics). I stopped in and was impressed by the quality of clothing they handle. They have a good range of clothing for those who are wheelchair bound. They also have a complete line of anti-strip clothing. If you are caring for someone who frequently removes their clothes see the article, Diapers and Dignity.
  2. Online Shopping
    1. CNIB Online Store
    2. The  online Alzheimer's Store carries talking clocks and simple telephones as well as a wide variety of products for those suffering with Alzheimer's and dementia.
    3. Silvert's Adaptive Clothing and Footwear
    4. West Care Health Supplies - Bodystockings - these undergarments help prevent the wearers from removing all their clothing. There are zippers at the shoulders and between the legs to make changing easy.

No comments :

Post a Comment